Back to topic list

[ Goto page Prev 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next ]
AuthorMessage
MattPost subject: Re: Safety + Space at the Pool 
Some good points Chris. It might look long, but read it people!
Posted:
Tue 7th Nov, 2006
11:18am
Where Am IPost subject: Re: Safety + Space at the Pool 
Maybe if personal boats are kept up there, there should be some kind of formal duty to share to the club for half the session (or less/more depending on numbers wanting to paddle).

Most people who own a boat stored on the balcony do indeed offer there boat to the masses after they are a little tired of playing (if you dont get tired you aren't pushing yourself hard enough!)

However some do not.

I don't actually think it is viable for all boat owners to take in their boat to every session say if you lived in leam with no car and had been on-campus since 9am! i think a completely reasonable price for storage is the sharing of your boat.
Posted:
Tue 7th Nov, 2006
12:08pm
IainPost subject: Re: Safety + Space at the Pool 
Avatar8 boats seems to be a very low number - we haven't had serious problems getting many more in, solong as everyone is a little consiederate,

in terms of personal boats; it would help alot if it were known who was cool with letting other people use them and who wasn't - eg last night there were two pesonal boats without owners - which were just taking up space, but last time i tried to use one i got laid into when the owner turned up a little late...
Posted:
Tue 7th Nov, 2006
12:13pm
IainPost subject: Re: Safety + Space at the Pool 

Posted:
Tue 7th Nov, 2006
12:14pm
Myles SaundersPost subject: Re: Safety + Space at the Pool 
AvatarI guess we didnt used to have this problem as not too many people attended the Monday pool sessions due to Westwood being a cr*p pool and Top B being that night.Also we didnt really have many of our own boats. We did have issues during the polo session about people hogging boats and the beginners/team training...etc. Your always going to have these problems if you have a large club though.

Potentially you could limit the number of personal boats stored at the pool and have perhaps a monthly rotation going on with them. It does however mean the owners would have to let others use their boat and its also a pain to keep track of and organise.
The best bet though would be the hassling of the Sports Union for better storage as keeping more than 2-3 boats on the balcony must be a problem. You have a better case with someone getting injured yesterday. Its a fine line though you dont want to annoy the people at the pool too much as they could then end up canning the session or banning more than a certain number of boats.

On another note if you do decide to get rid of some boats that are still in a useable condition let me know. I have a friend who works at a school in Zambia and they are keen to improve on the current number of kayaks they have (i.e. 1 my old Dagger Transition!). They can get free shipping from the UK so would possibly be interested if you were having a garage clear out.

Posted:
Tue 7th Nov, 2006
12:21pm
KatherinePost subject: Re: Safety + Space at the Pool 
We maybe need to limit the amount of time that personal boats are in the pool for as well because there isn't really enough space for everyone with a personal boat to do their own thing for a whole hour. It's justifiable if people want to coach a bit because they shouldn't have to give up time to practise whatever they want to practise for themselves. However it's easy to spend a lot of time trying to avoid being crashed into by play boaters and trying not to crash into people trying to roll. If there were fewer boats then there'd be more space to move.
Posted:
Tue 7th Nov, 2006
12:31pm
KatePost subject: Re: Safety + Space at the Pool 
Avatarre. Katherine's last point: we've talked previously about dividing the pool in two with a rope- one half for play boaters and one half for coaching. Might be worth starting to do this now- if just from a safety point of view
Posted:
Tue 7th Nov, 2006
12:37pm
Where Am IPost subject: Re: Safety + Space at the Pool 
conversely fewer boats = less time for everyone to paddle.

I don't get scared about that kind of stuff as maybe beginners (Katherine:p) will do... I think its awsome when the pool is utterly rammed with boats/people trying to learn:)
Posted:
Tue 7th Nov, 2006
12:40pm
Edited by Where Am I on Tue 7th Nov 2006, 12:44pm
ChrisPost subject: Re: Safety + Space at the Pool 
AvatarThinking back to last night in the pool, i can only think of 2 people that didn't share their own boat so generally people do share - as Hayden points out i'm far too weak to playboat for an hr straight.
The general point really is that there are two many people in the club for the size of pool. There isn't enough storage space or enough space in the pool. We could remove all the personal boats from the pool and replace them with large club boats but the pool is still going to be busy and 'unsafe'. We could make more storage so that safe and we get to keep all the boats we want up there but the pool again is still going to be busy. I really dont have much of an answer to this that is not going to upset some people, most likely me cos i may have to start bring my boat everytime, which means it lives at home and my non boating house mate is going to be mad with 5 boats in the house at any one time!
I guess the answer to lack of pool space is to get more time, which will be hard but then we need to restrict some people from doing what they want at some sessions and finding a night that we can do and the sports centre.
I think the point of this discussion isn't really about personal boats - although is a big deal - but more about the expanding size of the club and a plan to keep everyone safe and boating.

Posted:
Tue 7th Nov, 2006
12:48pm
KatePost subject: Re: Re: Safety + Space at the Pool 

I guess the answer to lack of pool space is to get more time, which will be hard

we won't get any more time because we already have two sessions a week. Compromise might be to get rid of the Thursday session (not sure how many come) and make the monday session 1 3/4- 2 hours long (with the whole pool for the whole session)
this doesn't solve the problem of so many boats at the pool. i think wait and see what happens at the polo meeting with gemma/ anna today, then be able to make a proper decision

Posted:
Tue 7th Nov, 2006
12:50pm
Edited by Kate on Tue 7th Nov 2006, 12:52pm

[ Goto page Prev 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next ]