Back to topic list

[ Goto page 1, 2 Next ]
AuthorMessage
SignePost subject: can you read this? 
Avatarfi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae an itnerseting mnid too! Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
Posted:
Fri 23rd Feb, 2007
3:01pm
AndyPost subject: Re: can you read this? 
AvatarThe research was actually done at Nottingham:

Rawlinson, G. E. (1976) The significance of letter position in word recognition. Unpublished PhD Thesis, Psychology Department, University of Nottingham, Nottingham UK.

More information about it is here.
Posted:
Fri 23rd Feb, 2007
3:19pm
SamanthaPost subject: Re: can you read this? 
AvatarI can raed it, but I hvae seen taht befroe and it deos tkae mroe efroft tahn uausl...
Posted:
Fri 23rd Feb, 2007
3:23pm
IainPost subject: Re: can you read this? 
Posted:
Fri 23rd Feb, 2007
3:29pm
MadiPost subject: Re: can you read this? 
AvatarSorry, was there any difference? It looked just the same to me.
Posted:
Fri 23rd Feb, 2007
4:31pm
IainPost subject: Re: can you read this? 
Posted:
Fri 23rd Feb, 2007
6:35pm
AvatarI wasn't insulting Signe's writing in any way shape or form, I know my grasp on English is umm... a bit rubbish, and I was just saying that I found it easy to read. Its pretty cool that our brains only need the letters and not the order to read things. wow you learn something new everyday!
Posted:
Sat 24th Feb, 2007
2:49pm
KatePost subject: Re: can you read this? 
Avatarsee article Webbo mentions: Signe's sentences were probably fixed to make them easy to read. Try these ones- not quite as simple!
Big ccunoil tax ineesacrs tihs yaer hvae seezueqd the inmcoes of mnay pneosenirs
A dootcr has aimttded the magltheuansr of a tageene ceacnr pintaet who deid aetfr a hatospil durg blendur
Posted:
Sat 24th Feb, 2007
2:59pm
Avataryeah that was alot harder, I think I got the basic message but quite a few words I have no idea about 'tageene'? (isn't that i type of pasta?) I suppose Signe's post uses more common and short words,
Posted:
Sat 24th Feb, 2007
3:18pm
Edited by Madi on Sat 24th Feb 2007, 3:18pm
SamanthaPost subject: Re: can you read this? 
Avatar'tageene' is teenage (I think). I can read them(just a bit slower than normal- but not much)... my brain must be screwed...
Posted:
Sat 24th Feb, 2007
4:44pm

[ Goto page 1, 2 Next ]