Posted by: Freja Freshers' Tripâ”¬Ã¡
Big welcome to all our new members, and a slightly smaller welcome to our returning members. The canoe club aim to run around 3 river trips per term, and our first trip of the year is fast approaching! Our freshers' trip is suitable for all of our new members, regardless of previous paddling experience, our only requirement is that you have attended at least one pool session, and are a member of the club.
Freshers' trip is a trip to South Wales for an introduction to white-water kayaking. It will be the weekend at the end of week 3 (21st-23rd Oct), leaving late afternoon on the Friday and returning Sunday evening. We're staying in a bunkhouse both nights, then venturing out to paddle rivers during the day. We'll provide all the paddling kit you need, asides from shoes for on the river (old trainers work well), but if you have any kit of your own, feel free to bring it.â”¬Ã¡
We recommend you bring a waterproof jacket, a sleeping bag and plenty of warm clothes, as well a towel (the bunkhouse has showers) and any overnight stuff you may need. If you need help getting hold of any of these things, let us know and we can provide them for you.
The price will be â”¬Ãº38; this will include transport, accommodation, kit (if you need it) and a group meal on the Saturday night.
So you are interested in signing up?
- Be a member of the club through Warwick SU/Warwick Sport. You will need a silver Warwick sport membership, to pay the Sports Federation fee, then to go to this pageâ”¬Ã¡and join the club.
- Attend at least one canoe session. Unfortunately attending a canoe polo session is insufficient.
- Make an account on our website (if you haven't done so already). I'd recommend not leaving this till the last minute, as some people find this confusing. Follow this link for instructions:â”¬Ã¡http://www.warwickcanoe.co.uk/site/register/
- Be on our trips page (http://www.warwickcanoe.co.uk/site/trips/) this Friday at 5pm. A trip called Freshers' Trip 2016 will appear, which you can click, fill in your details, and sign up. Sign ups will close Sunday at 6pm, then confirmation emails will be sent out with a payment link to those who got a place on Monday. We assign our places first-come first-serve, as unfortunately we're limited in the number of people we can take, and in the past this trip has been very popular, so I'd recommend signing up promptly.
Once we've sent out our confirmation email, you are committed to paying for the trip. If you are no longer able to come, please let us know ASAP so that we can try to find someone else to take your place. If you change your mind, but have not yet received a confirmation email, then just pop one of the exec a message and we will remove your sign-up.
- This Thursday is 3-legged bar crawl, we will be meeting in Leam at, or on campus at the main bus stop at
- Next Wednesday (week 3) we will be circling at Pop! Week 3 circling tickets tend to sell out, so buy your tickets now.â”¬Ã¡https://tickets.warwicksu.com/ents/event/13882/
- Tyne Tour will be the weekend of week 5, more details to follow.
- Week 6 we will be heading to Swansea for a weekend of drinking and kayak surfing.
- Week 7 is BUCS Wildwater Racing, again, more details to follow.
- Near the end of term- probably at the end of week 8, we will be organising a White Water Safety and Rescue (WWSR) course, this will probably cost in the region of â”¬Ãº80-â”¬Ãº100 pp, more details to follow, please let us know if you are interested.